Saturday, September 20, 2008

Exile by Richard North Patterson



EXILE by Richard North Patterson

Richard North Patterson is one of my favorite fiction authors and his books always promise a good read. His newest book, EXILE, was a little daunting and I was glad I didn't pay for it by the pound! But, it was such a great read that I barely put it down.

When a terrorist cell attacks a convoy in San Francisco and murders the Prime Minister of Israel, we are thrown into the world of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Patterson takes us to Israel and the Palestine territories. He tells the stories of both sides of the conflict. His intense research into the areas makes clear the realities of phrases that we have all heard: suicide bombers, occupation, check points, settlements, the right of return, religious fanatics on both sides, honor killings. It is a fascinating journey into the lethal politics of the region.

It also has the stuff of great novels - a love story, the trial of the century, deception, murder and intrigue.

I enjoyed the story immensely, but I was fascinated by the history lesson that went with it. And, I feel I have gained some insight into the conflict that seems to have no resolution in this tiny corner of the world that affects the globe.

I strongly recommend this book.



No comments: